You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: Is "Tribalism" Good, Bad or Indifferent? Is "Us vs. Them Our Strength or Our Downfall?

in #discussion6 years ago (edited)

Tribalism is.

In some Native American nations, there were Sacred Clowns who shook up ceremonies by acting like idiots. They facilitated the people's ability to amplify the truly sacred, and expel the tired posery. Similarly, Thomas Jefferson said we should have a revolution every 20 years, the expiration date of most cults and communes

Sort:  

Agreed, tribalism "is." But what do we choose to DO with it? Will it dominate and drive our lives, or will it merely be a form of free-time entertainment, like waving a certain flag at ball games?

Yeah, the heyoka were the contrarians in the tribe; in a sense the Native American version of the court jester of old; incidentally the only person who could speak the truth about the ruler and the customs of the time.

I guess I am thinking of tribalism vs. individualism as poles of duality and we are compelled by the human condition to pendulate between them. Sacred clowns facillitate that pendulation, keeping us in balance.

The Transhumanism project is hard at work destroying family affiliation and genetic fate. Perhaps they will succeed at turning proles into mere flag wavers without a deep and abiding sense of tribal (extended family or community) belonging.

To me that is supremely dystopian and worse than oldtime barabarians.

Very thought provoking discussion, thank you!

I personally have a number of "issues" with transhumanism, starting with the inevitable homogeneity of the ultimate species... the "most efficient" will become predominant, and yet without variation the species will atrophy from the result of no longer having divergent ideas.

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.30
TRX 0.11
JST 0.031
BTC 68622.46
ETH 3788.62
USDT 1.00
SBD 3.66