How much should pastors or non for profits make?

in #discussion6 years ago

We were discussing whether or not pastors and nonprofit leaders should make six figures. What are you thoughts? First, let me give you some context.

Our backstory.

My bestie and I have been friends for ten years in August. She grew up a pastor’s child and watched firsthand how wealth can lead a pastor down the wrong path. She has worked for a nonprofit where the CEO refuses to make a certain amount because the goal isn't to get rich, but to reach those in need. My bestie has experienced life with much wealth and almost left homeless at one point. She has since then paid for her own wedding in cash, lives debt-free, and makes a combined annual salary with her hubby of $60,000 a year.

My parents became Christians shortly after emigrating to this country. They have owned land, have traveled back and forth from Brazil almost every year, and have been active members of two churches—one when they first came to this country for several years, and the second shortly after moving, where they have been for well over twenty years. Mom and Dad have worked the same jobs for almost thirty years. Both our parents managed money poorly. We both manage finances very differently than our parents, and we live debt-free. I made roughly $10,000 less than my bestie and her hubby’s combined income.

We both recently lost our jobs and spend our time looking for work and tanning.

We have literally become tanned Brazilian babes, but I digress.

Our thoughts

I say, pastors and nonprofit leaders should make six-figure incomes. I think if the church or organization can afford it, the salaries should be aligned with the size of the church or organization. I don't think I should decide whether or not they are paid based on what they need vs. want. My bestie disagrees. She believes pastors and leaders/CEOs of nonprofits should not be making six figures. They can comfortably live with much less. Why do they need a mansion, or a yacht? Some nonprofits give as much as 95% of every dollar donated, while others give as little as 35% of every dollar given. At what point is paying for admin/salaries not worth the donors’ donations? But that's another point.

Your vote?

Side note: We are primarily discussing matters of the heart. Money influences everyone differently, money changes people differently, and thankfully we are all on the board today to cast a vote. Regardless of your belief system, do you vote yes or no to cap salaries for both nonprofits and pastors? Would you vote differently for a church pastor than for a nonprofit?

Sort:  

Best friend, this was very well written. I applaud you

Let me just add to my point that I do believe they should be paid accordingly. Enough for the whole family to lively comfortably on the pastor's income alone, if possible. I just don't believe people should get rich off of ministry. Now, if a pastor has a business or work separately from the church and has made a fortune that way, I see nothing wrong with having wealth -- though I may be wary of it. Also, many pastors and leaders make wealth out of selling books and DVD on topical studies and teachings and I believe there is nothing wrong with that either. That is the fruit of their labor. Wherein my problem lies, is pastors becoming rich out of the tithes and offering of the congregation, same would apply to non-profits and donations.
And I understand this can be a slippery slope when talking about what the pastor needs or what is a comfortable living, and truly that isn't up to me to decide (and @firststeps makes a very good point about full disclosure)

Keep up the good work ^^

I forgot to mention the side hustle. Thanks for adding this information to the conversation. Now go write another post! :)

I believe the whole congregation of the church, not just the deacons or a board, should have full disclosure about the budget, including the Pastor’s salary, and the power to approve or disapprove.

As far as Nonprofits are concerned, technically the board is supposed to represent the community but in real life they see themselves as stewards of the nonprofit or worse just controlled by the Director. That mindset has to change first.

I hate to see Pastors and Directors making tons of money when there are so many poor in their congregation or community. But I don’t believe in FORCE either.

We just need to do our best to live up to our own values and convince others to follow.

You bring up another great point too. We need to consider which organizations we invest in because it is a direct investment into these people as well. Thanks for your input!

Nice post. I've been thinking about your points. I think pastors should be paid according to their work. This is what I mean by that; they should be paid according to whether they are employed or not. Employed pastors, that's to say full time pastors should be given money enough to cater for their selves and families. And those pastors who are not full time should be given just some amount to show an appreciation for their hardwork. I've seen most pastors who are not full time reject payments. I read the biography of George Muller who lived as a full time pastor and never received any money because of his work as a pastor. That was his own choice. Some pastors are greedy and though they have enough to live by, they still receive huge sums of money from their churches.

17 The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. 18 For the Scripture says, "YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING," and "The laborer is worthy of his wages." (1 Timothy 5:17-18, NASB)
As for my stance on the non profit organizations I think they deserve the wages according to their hardwork.

Money is sometimes dangerous . Especially those who desire to get rich.

8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. (1 Timothy 6:8-10, NASB)

I agree they should be paid according to their work. As in any profession, the salaries should correlate with the type of work and the revenue it generates. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Welcome friend.

@kubbyelizabeth well we would need to understand the context, some pastors pastor within certain denominations where there are established structures and can pay them. Some other pastors begin their own ministries where they labour for many years, without even earning a salary! but rather investing into the lifes of congregants. I think for such people it is unfair when their congregations grow for them to get remunerated commensurately. Pa storing is also work and a lot goes into it, If a Pastor gets rewarded and get afford luxuries of life, I personally don't see any wrong in that. Most Pastors actually contribute to society more than politicians. The argument of poor people in society is sometimes annoying as even Jesus said " The poor you will always have with you" and even when you provide relieve and aid if people don't manage their resources well, they will end up being poor.

We also tend to forget most pastors also have side businesses because most times the tithes and offerings may not sustain their families. It's wrong thinking to think all churches are mega churches. Certain churches are BROKE

All very true and every situation is different. Thank you for contributing your thoughts, all the points you made could be considered when deciding a salary for the pastor. Pastors are generally very generous with their finances. My best friend and I have different point of views on the matter, but I think we would agree with your statement.

I full on disagree in terms of charities, but not pastors...

which is why 100% of @YouAreHOPE income from donors goes to mission work. I have a job to feed myself, and steem income from other endeavors. What comes to the Charitable service is used for CHARITY, isn't that the whole point of someone making a donation? It's not to buy me a lambo, while orphans starve. Don't want to live that life? Want to make six figures? Maybe charity isn't the road to choose then.

Personally, I will continue to work here for the REAL good of others. Not via 2 cent bots or lip service to "halping" but via the growth of a tangible, effective network of people helping people - and it's working out great. We've touched and affected hundreds , nearing thousands of lives in nearly a dozen countries now, and not a single person had to make six figures to do it yet.

Pastors however, run a business, a church is very much a business and is not at all the same as "charity" work, so a modest income to enable them to devote the 24/7 full time hours such work entails is logical. But even then, if you want wealth, the Joel Olsteen approach is disgusting. Go build a regular company. If you want to serve? Than modest comfort will suffice.

I see both organizations as a business or a form of a business model, and as you mentioned it is the heart and intention of the leader that makes the difference. As long as the mission, goals, and purpose is transparent to the donors then compensation is relative. People have the choice to donate where they see fit. My best friend would agree with you that some pastors and charity leaders that make six figures isn't align with their work, whereas I don't see a problem with it. Thanks for upvoting all the comments on this post. Save travels cork.

Thanks Kub, I lived to tell some tales. Now if I could only take masterful photos like crimmie.

Thank you very much. What did you like about it?

Good your photo profil, good your posting

I think it's great add pictures to the conversation.

Let...is ok. Interesting

This post has received a 10.07% upvote from @msp-bidbot thanks to: @kubbyelizabeth. Delegate SP to this public bot and get paid daily: 50SP, 100SP, 250SP, 500SP, 1000SP, 5000SP Don't delegate so much that you have less than 50SP left on your account.

Coin Marketplace

STEEM 0.26
TRX 0.13
JST 0.032
BTC 61663.08
ETH 2893.40
USDT 1.00
SBD 3.48